Youth Basketball Drills – Pit Drill
Youth Basketball Drills
(Pit Rebounding Drill)
A drill we like to use to work on our rebounding skills is the Pit Drill. This is a competitive drill that works on both defensive and offensive rebounding skills. Below is a youtube example of the drill:
Because we don’t like to have our players stand idle for too long, we have put our own little twist on the drill.
- Two lines on the base line for Guards and Forwards/Centers (Defense).
- Two lines on the elbows for Guards and Forwards/Centers (Offense).
- Coach at the free throw line with a basketball.
- The first player in each defensive line positions themselves about midway up the lane.
- Coach takes a shot making sure to try and miss.
- Defensive players block out their offensive player and try to secure the ball.
- Offensive players work to beat the block out to get the ball.
- Rotate players after each shot.
- First team to 20 rebounds, offensive or defensive, wins the drill.
- We switch defense and offense when the combined score of both teams equals 20.
If you need more drill ideas, please take a look at our YouTube library of youth basketball drills.